The BAPP journey begins..........

Modules 1 and 2 completed in 2011/2012! After interrupting for 2 years I am now back to my BAPP studies and ready to conduct my professional inquiry.....

"What is the best way to prepare someone for full time professional training in Musical Theatre/Dance?"


Thursday, March 22, 2012

Task 5B - Official 'Codes of Practice' and 'Regulations'

Task 5B
With regards to 'Codes of Practice/Regulations' so far I have simply focused on the assumed regulations that were instinctive to me as a teacher (Task 5a). These 'rules to abide' have been gathered from my experience of teaching within the private sector and I think it would be fair to say, have been learned through trial and error methods.

It is now time to look at the official 'Codes of Practice' that are stipulated within my Contract of Employment and also from various Professional Sources.

Contract of Employment
I started this task by looking at my Contract of Employment from one of the schools I work for on a Self-Employed basis. I think the main point to highlight here is 'Self Employed Basis'. The contract covers various headings such as Pay, Invoices, Holidays, Sick Pay etc... All of these were very self explanatory and as assumed I am not entitled to holidays or sick pay as I am not employed by the company full time. The main point of focus for me is the section 'Roles and Responsibilities':

A selection from 'Roles and Responsibilities':
    • Plan, prepare and deliver stimulating classes that engage the learners.
    • From time to time you may be asked to submit a lesson plan (you will be given notice of this)
    • All scripts and music, planning, materials are YOUR responsibility.
    • Easter term - you are required to give short written feedback in the form of a report. This will be done in your own time.
    • Shows - You are not only responsible for your subject but the whole show (sales and marketing, technical requirements, theatre bookings, FOH)

    Various other issues are covered in the contract such as giving at least 2 weeks notice if you cannot teach and having to provide your own cover. Wearing the correct uniform, rates of pay, etc..
    CRB checks and Confidentiality are also mentioned, but in very brief terms.

    In all honesty, the contract gives me no more information than my already assumed 'Code of Practice'. Perhaps it is assumed or it is made obvious in an interview that the employee has a good standard of Personal/Professional Ethics. All the teachers at the school are trained Professionals and therefore their Professional Ethical Standards should be of a high standard and have been instilled through their training and Professional Practice.

    I have always been aware that if you work on a 'Self Employed Basis' then the benefits from the employer are much less, however there is nothing within the contract that focuses on employer to employee. In return what does the employer give me?........A job!

    I think it is fair to say that this is the first time I have picked up this contract since signing it....I think that says everything! There are no guidelines contained within it that I am unaware of and I am more likely to find guidance and an outline of good ethical practice from other Professional Sources.

    Professional Sources As a private teacher I teach various classes to include Performing Arts (covering dance, singing and drama), Acting, LAMDA coaching and one of my main focuses is Mobile Singing Teaching.

    Apart from the LAMDA classes which obviously follow a set syllabus, the other classes are all free work/non-syllabus based, therefore I am not affiliated with any particular organisation, apart from obviously following the Organisational Ethics that each school holds.

    I decided to google 'Ethics for Singing Teachers' and I came across the following website....

    http://www.centralregionnats.org/ethics.php

    This Code of Ethics is established by NATS in order that its members may understand more clearly their ethical duties and obligations to their students, other teachers, and the general public, as well as to promote cooperation and good fellowship among the members. (NATS, 2006)

    This is actually an American website but the 'Code of Practice' featured has many useful points. Some of the regulations are specific to the organisation but others can be used no matter who you are affiliated to...

    Members will present themselves honestly, in a dignified manner, and with documented qualifications: academic degrees, professional experience, or a combination of both

    Members will treat each student in a dignified and impartial manner

    Members will offer their best voice and music instruction and career advice to all students under their instruction
    (NATS, Code of Ethics, 2006)

    Another extremely useful website is the CDET for their 'Code of Conduct'. I think this could be considered as a Dance Teacher's bible! It has all the relevant information/guidelines that you need to follow. Of course with teaching there is no black and white, but if you try to follow these ethical guidelines you can be confident in teaching with good ethical standards.

    http://www.cdet.org.uk/teaching-and-qualifications/code-of-conduct/

    The document covers the following headings:
    • Fundamental Principles

    • Integrity

    • Objectivity

    • Competency

    • Courtesy and Consideration

    • Confidentiality

    • Publicity

    • Teaching Names

    • Data Protection

    • Health and Safety

    • Standards of Good Practice

    • Notification


    • It is the 'Standards of Good Practice' section that really stands out for me, particularly the following statement...

      communicate a love of dance and encourage the art of dance (CDET, 2012)

      So often we get tied up in following rules and regulations that we forget the real reason we are teaching and why we love what we do :)

      SummaryComparing my Task 5a and Task 5b I have realised that mostly my assumed regulations are those which are stipulated within statutory sources.

      As a self employed teacher it is extremely important to have a good strong set of Personal and Professional Ethics. With these you need to be able to follow the Organisational Ethics of the establishment you are working in and hope that with a combination of all three types of Ethics you will provide the best possible standard of teaching you can.

      Ethical problems start to arise when your Personal/Professional ethics conflict with the ethics of the organisation. No matter what basis you are employed under (full time/self employed), you have a duty to respect the employer and follow their 'way of doing things'. Jobs are hard to come by, but perhaps it is advisable to consider the ethics of the organisation before committing to them. If you have strong personal/professional ethics which conflict then perhaps it is best to walk away?

      What do you think about this statement? Would you be willing to walk away from a job if you had real conflict with the ethics of the establishment?

      I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on the above and particularly from fellow self employed teachers on their experience with contracts/codes of practice etc.

      7 comments:

      1. Hi Jo,
        I am very impressed with your post and all the information you managed to find online regarding the Codes of Conduct.

        Also, as we both agree in the matter that we didn't really study the conditions in our contract since we signed it (I was just so happy to be offered it!) it shows there is a real danger out there... However, as I knew that there was a strong Union in place, I did know that there wouldn't be anything illegal or out of the ordinary in it. But, if there was, would I be strong and confident enough to question it???

        Regarding the question of ethics in the workplace- I am a perfect example. I did sign my contract in Zurich knowing full well that the Director is a notorious slave driver and a difficult personality. But, to be honest, in this business if you pick and choose for who and where you work, you really do close a lot of doors professionally. Our employers are not there to be our friends, and if the conditions of a job are good, and we have the chance to work doing what we love, then we do have to be a little bit flexible. The employer does technically have the power to say what goes on under his/her Directorship, and we are supposed to just play a part of his tune.... Being able to work hard under 'Divas Directors' also shows a strength of personality and an extra passion for the art!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I agree Alicia! Jobs are so hard to come by that you have to snap a good one up when it comes to you, whether or not there are certain ethical issues that perhaps need to be addressed.

          I guess you will always have to look at the pros versus cons, and as long as the quality of the job and the performance experience is good then perhaps we can overlook (or grit our teeth and carry on) some of the other factors!

          In all honesty, how many times do performers go to an audition knowing the terms and conditions of the job? I have never been in this situation! I go to an audition in hope of securing a job without any knowledge of the 'codes of practice' or even details of the contract. Does this change with experience? As the hierarchy moves do we become more picky? I completely agree though, when a good job comes our way we certainly can't afford to be picky, This is when we look to our Personal and Professional Ethics to carry us through and fingers crossed there are no ethical conflicts between performer and organisation/company.

          Delete
      2. Hi Jo

        Really good post! I considered the self employment aspect in my tasks on ethics and codes of practice - there really is little guidance and few regulations for a self employed dance teacher - it is very much left to your personal and professional judgement.

        In terms of walking away from a job because I didnt agree with the organizational ethics or codes of te company/employer; at this stage of my career - I wouldn't. I worked for a pantomime company over christmas and the organizational ethics were very poor - we were getting paid for 4 shows (45 mins each) aday, but the travelling and driving we did made our days more like 12/13 hour days; they had doubled booked us and left us (the performers) to ring and cancel and try and apologise; etc... many more unethical factors not mentioned in our contracts. However I took the job as a thought of it as a stepping stone in my career. I agree with Alicia - 'in this business if you pick and choose for who and where you work, you really do close a lot of doors professionally'.
        However I have just taken a job teaching basic dance - 'Physical Literacy' - in primary schools; and I have a large list of ethics I must adhere to. A lot of the considerations given to the welfare and emotions of the children, their parents, their school teachers, etc.. I have to say are things that certainly weren't considered regarding myself when I have worked as a performer.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I agree Alicia! Jobs are so hard to come by that you have to snap a good one up when it comes to you, whether or not there are certain ethical issues that perhaps need to be addressed.

          I guess you will always have to look at the pros versus cons, and as long as the quality of the job and the performance experience is good then perhaps we can overlook (or grit our teeth and carry on) some of the other factors!

          In all honesty, how many times do performers go to an audition knowing the terms and conditions of the job? I have never been in this situation! I go to an audition in hope of securing a job without any knowledge of the 'codes of practice' or even details of the contract. Does this change with experience? As the hierarchy moves do we become more picky? I completely agree though, when a good job comes our way we certainly can't afford to be picky, This is when we look to our Personal and Professional Ethics to carry us through and fingers crossed there are no ethical conflicts between performer and organisation/company.

          Delete
        2. Sorry Lizzie, I meant to post the above under Alicia's comment!

          It sounds like you are really going to enjoy your new job from what you have written on your blogs. It is so difficult isn't it? I completely agree with you, at this stage in my career I am not in a position to walk away from any job, unless it was extremely serious, to the point where even the union wasn't dealing with it correctly, however I don't think this would happen (fingers crossed).

          It sounds like you have gone from one extreme to the other. One job where little/no ethical guidelines were set in place, to now where there are many rules and regulations to follow. I personally feel there needs to be a balance with ethics, codes of conducts, regualtions etc.

          I do believe we can go too far, particularly when it comes to Health and Safety etc.

          On the ship the performers would always laugh during Health and Safety training and ethics in the workplace training. The rules just simply couldn't apply to the Performers for example, no touching in the workplace. On my first day of rehearsals I had already been touched in many places that would probably be considered unethical!

          I wonder statistically whether as an employee, you encounter more ethical problems in an organisation that has few or many ethical guidelines?

          It would be interesting to research this :)

          Delete
      3. Hello Jo
        The CDET code of practice is definitely to be followed as a teacher of dance. Of course the main point of teaching this is the love of the art and the joy, pleasure and creativity it brings when passing on this knowledge and practice.

        Paula stated recently in a comment on my blog about 'the human element' at the end of the day we have this to consider as priority.. There is so much more to consider as a self employed person, parents feelings and worries about their child’s development, diverse cultures, disabilities but remembering what the principal reason for the child taking dance classes at the end of the day. Not forgetting the running of your business and the laws and rules of tax etc..
        Whether self employed or employed by an organisation, professional ethic and code of conduct comes first. I have seen, like yourself, organizations that are unaware of a code of practice for dance. I inform them of this. It will be my reputation and integrity and a genuine care of humans that carries the responsibility overall.
        I think I would walk away if my ethics conflicted with an organisation as I feel a deep sense of responsibility towards the developing body of a child or untrained non dancer’s body. The fact that I know about ethics and codes of practice doesn’t exclude me from responsibility if my employers are unaware. Contracts can always be amended. Sometimes you have to lead and not just follow.
        As Alicia Beck mentioned that there are codes/conduct of practice that can be accessed on the web that are there to guide us as Professionals..

        Best wishes.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I love your comment 'Sometimes you have to lead and not just follow'. It is so very easy to sit back and say, well they dont care so why should I?

          Like you said as teachers we have a responsibility to our students and integrity and personal/professional ethics are utmost to our careers, regardless of how the organisation works.

          I look forward to reading more on your inquiry :)

          Delete